Thursday, July 23, 2009

What are your reactions or experiences with point of view, perspectives, and biases in history?

I remember in elementary school we watched a film about the pilgrims.  It followed one family and their struggles.  Our teacher had us write a diary from the point of view of one of the people in the film.  I chose the young girl Patience.  Putting myself in her shoes made it easier for me to relate to the struggles they went through and the feelings that she felt.  It really made the subject come to life for me.  I got so engaged I swore I would name my first girl Patience.  My family thought this was hilarious. 
This experience shows how having students see another's point of view can engage that student in the subject matter.  The ideas presented in the Lindquist text are great ways of doing this.  I really liked the Letter from the Heart idea of having the students write letters from different perspectives of the unit you are studying.  This is a great way to get the material to come to life be engaging.  It also begins to show the student how to have empathy for other thoughts and feelings by looking at things from their perspective. 
As far as biases in history, I grew up in the DC area.  It seems that there was always someone around reminding us that that was "just one side of the story."  My teacher's always talked about how we needed to remember that there was always another way to look at things.  I think this is important when presenting information to students.  Remind them that this is how the author saw it.  Use it as a discussion topic, "how might someone else see it?"  
Teach the children to always think of another way to look at things.  This is a way to peak interest, begin discussions, and create tasks.

No comments: