Monday, July 6, 2009

NC Museum of Art

I have to admit, I love art museums.  This is something that was not instilled in me through school but through my family.  My parents used to always take us to the Art museums in DC even as young children.  This really created an appreciation for art and the stories behind each piece of work.

Being able to instill this same type of appreciation in my students might be one of the easier things for me to do.  Art and each individual piece of art is a history lesson in and of itself.  Whether it be the story of what is captured in the art or the story of the artist, there is always a story to tell.  Finding the right story to tie into your lessons can be the challenging part.  Finding the right way to tie these different aspects together into the lessons could seem overwhelming, Art could be the connecting piece.  Finding art that depicts scenes from history and then finding pieces that were created during the same time period could be a great discussion starter.  How are they related, how are they different?  

I am excited for the new parts of the museum to open.  I think field trips to Art Museums are not planned enough in schools.  Art can not only be engaging, with art it is open to one's own interpretation.  What a great way to stimulate  students own way of thinking and getting a glimpse into their perspective on things.  If you can't take your class to an art museum, bring art to your classroom.  I think we'll all be surprised with the conversations it begins.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Eileen I too came from a background where I did not have the opportunity to visit the art museums in school instead it was left to the families. I was fortunate that my family did go to NYC often and I got to visit some of the best art museums, galleries and collections in the world but it was only because my family took me and instilled a love of art.
This lose of the importance of art in schools is one that irks me and I think that one of our responsibilties as a teacher is to ensure that our students have the opportunity to go to a museum or as you so wisely suggested to bring an art museum in.

tduncan said...

I too am excited about the new addition for the spring. I must admit that I did not have a true appreciation of art up until this visit and it's mostly because I didn't understand it. I'm glad you've now got educational experiences to add with your family influences for instilling a love of museums in your future students.