Wednesday, July 1, 2009

NC Museum of History

Being a student that never seemed to retain anything from Social Studies growing up, our field trip to the NC Museum of History was a pleasant surprise.  I found myself engaged and interested in the resources the museum had to offer.  This made one point very clear to me, in order for students to learn and retain information, they must be interested and engaged.

Growing up in a suburb of Washington, DC I was surrounded by history.  I can't even tell you how many times I have visited the Smithsonian museums.  Why don't I remember anything from Social Studies?  My visits to these wonderful museums were never with a direct purpose.  We would go to the museum as a class and wander through the exhibits with no learning objective planned.  When we got back to school we were asked, "What was your favorite part of the museum?"  I now realize what I missed out on.  Museums offer such a great learning opportunity for students, it brings things to life.  Seeing actual clothes, weapons, and personal photos from the Civil War makes it real.    Without a direction for a visit to a museum, students just wander looking at items not making connections.  
The staff at the NC Museum of History make it easy for teachers.  They seemed so eager to provide resources that it seems a shame more teachers do not utilize these resources.  Even the workshops are great opportunities for teachers to expand their own learning. 
The resources that are available to teachers through museums are unbelievable.  Even if you cannot take your class to the museum, you can bring the museum to the class with the resources (most are free) they offer.  
One of the aspects that I thought was interesting was the Junior Historian Club.  This would be a great opportunity for a class or even great extension activities for your AG learners.  

I now believe that there is no excuse to having Social Studies be a passive learning experience.  Use the resources, engage the children, bring history to life.

2 comments:

tduncan said...

Well said: "I now believe that there is no excuse to having Social Studies be a passive learning experience. Use the resources, engage the children, bring history to life."

Couldn't have said it better myself!

C. Perry said...

I definitely agree with you Eileen, I think this museum does an excellent job of reaching out to teachers and making resources available and easily accessible. I really enjoyed learning about the learning stations that provide those tangible artifacts that the students are allowed to touch. I think that makes all the difference when students can see the history come alive and actually experience artifacts.

I also think you are absolutely correct about going to the museum or any field trip with an objective in mind so that students are making those connections and getting the most out of the experience.
I am now excited to bring social studies into my future classrooms and I know that you are too.