Monday, July 27, 2009

Reflections on 5th grade lesson. Which way is west?

So you have to plan a lesson to teach in a 5th grade class.  You find a fun interactive assignment that involves the students using cardinal directions to move throughout the US map.  Then you wonder, "Is this too easy for 5th grade?  How can I make it more challenging?"  You add a part to include language arts and you hope it will be a successful lesson.  Reality!  Some 5th graders are not sure which way west is.  The lesson you think will take 30 minutes could in reality last 1 hour and require a follow-up the next day.
The students seemed engaged in the lesson.  At first, I think they weren't sure how to react.  This lesson was a interactive lesson - swim west across the gulf of Mexico & the students are to act out swimming.  They looked at each other and as one began the motions, the others began to follow.  These students are from a class that is textbook directed and the students are required to work silently without much interaction.  This lesson was totally foreign to them.  After they got into it, they had fun.
When it came time to write their own directions and then read them aloud is when I realized they did not have a firm grasp of cardinal direction.  As we followed one students directions, we were directed to travel west from Washington state to arrive in California.  Once I demonstrated the directions she realized the directions she gave led us to the Pacific Ocean.  Another student's directions include us "jacking" a car and driving North.  Don't you love the humor of 5th graders?  After redirection, we finish our directions.  I suddenly realize - I don't have time to complete the worksheet portion of the lesson.  Well, remain flexible and roll with it.
What did I learn?  
For student's that come from classes that are not encouraged to be interactive, it takes time for them to feel comfortable with this type of environment.  
Knowing the student's current knowledge is imperative.  I thought my lesson could have been too easy and it wasn't.  Assessing current and previous knowledge is necessary to plan appropriate lessons. 
Sometimes things take longer than you think.  Teachers need to be flexible in the classroom and their planning.  Had this been my class, I would have needed to plan a second lesson on cardinal directions since I felt that they didn't get a full understanding.
Finally, 5th graders sense of humor sometimes - not so funny! :)

1 comment:

Whitney said...

"You aren't going to have me do anything illegal on my trip, are you?

"Okay, I'll change it..."